Phone or Text : (408) 599-1413
Counseling for Individuals, Families and Couples

Discussion Topic

Am I Depressed?

“I am depressed” is a line that is pretty commonly used these days. But how can we tell if our “blues” are actually something we need to seek help for?

Having the blues:

Everyone feels sad from time to time. No one is immune to the break up of a relationship or the loss of a job. But if you find yourself not being able to rebound from those events, or if you feel sad for no reason. Another difference is that someone who feels sad is still able to function day to day. You are able to get up, go to work, go to school, do your homework or fulfill your duties as a parent or worker. Someone with clinical depression may not be able to function in his or her workplace or may experience increased tension in their relationships.  These may be signs that extra help may be what you need.

Here are some things to ask yourself:

1. Do you (for the last two weeks) feel either:

(a) Depressed mood (most of the day, nearly every day), and/or

(b) Greatly reduced interest or pleasure, (in most or all activities nearly every day)?

2. Have you had at least 4 of the below symptoms for a duration of two weeks?

Weight loss or gain (e.g. =5% weight change in 1 month).

Sleeping trouble (falling or staying asleep, or sleeping more than usual).

Either agitated or slowed behaviour.

Energy loss or fatigue.

Feeling worthlessness or guilt.

Difficulty concentrating or making decisions.

Thoughts of death.

Also something to note–are all of the above affecting your ability to

function in daily life? Is your school, work, or relationships

suffering as a result of these symptoms?

If the answer is “yes” then you should see your doctor, psychiatrist

or a therapist who can help you. There are very effective treatments

for depression, and you don’t need to continue suffering.

Lia Huynh, MFT

545 Los Coches St. Suite112

Milpitas CA 95035

(408) 599-1413

Counselor and Psychotherapist serving the Milpitas, San Jose and Fremont areas